Friday, April 22, 2011

Little Kickers

We decided to sign Jack up for Little Kickers, soccer for 3 and 4 year olds at the Rec Center! I also decided I would try being the coach! (I decided that it doesn't matter how much experience or knowledge you have with soccer, that all means nothing when coaching this age level!) It was definitely a fun adventure!

Here is the adventure with the Green Eagles (and Jack's first attempt at organized sports) documented in pictures.

Jack seemed really excited to play soccer, especially when I bought him shin guards, socks, and a soccer ball! :) Jack loves to run and kick balls, so I thought he would be totally into soccer....
But this little maneuver in the kitchen before the first practice may have been my first sign that soccer for my 3 year old would not go as planned... :)
Some of these pictures make it look like Jack was a little baller.....those may have been the only times he touched the ball.
And see the bottom right hand picture of me and him....awww...no! I am probably threatening him that if he doesn't kick the ball he doesn't get to do something he really wanted to do....like take Chewie for a walk.....

I had fun coaching. 3 and 4 year olds have A LOT of energy! It was fun to look up and find drills (like letting the kids kick the ball at me and I run around yelling "OUCH" as they giggle and chase me) but also very frustrating at times because 3 and 4 year olds rarely listen and have VERY short attention spans. Plus there was a very large range in skill level. Plus, I think Jack might have listened better to someone other than his mom. But the kids showed me lots of love and I had fun, making a fool of myself and all!

Everyone's favorite part was the cheering....."GO GREEN EAGLES!" (I love all the facial expressions in these pictures!)

So now for some pictures that show the TRUE story of Jack's first attempt at soccer.
This picture shows that he much rather would have participated with his friend Eli's team, at least for stretching. (Notice the only green shirt...that would be Jack!)
I don't even know....maybe doing the hula during the game?
Literally twiddling his thumbs....This was indoor, but if there was grass or daisies to pick, my son would have been the one doing that in the middle of the game! :)
Apparently all tuckered out from his one run at the ball...
Seriously?
But seriously cute too! :) I can't wait to show these pictures to Jack when he is a star athlete when he is older, show him how his adventures in athletics began! :)
Thanks for a fun little season Green Eagles! :)

1 comment:

Cory & Rebeca said...

Too Cute! I can't wait til Sophie turns 3, we're going to enroll her this summer in swim and tumbling but I'm counting down til next spring for soccer- wish you could be her coach. :) Love and miss you guys!