Thursday, January 17, 2008

New Years in Utah!

After being home only a day from our 6 days in Kansas, Jack and I headed down to Utah to spend New Years. It took us about 8 hours to make the usually 5 1/2 hour drive because of snowy, icy roads. We also had a little "blow out incident" at a rest area....it deserves the story....

So I stopped at my favorite rest area between Blackfoot and Pocatello. Jack needed to eat and I needed to go to the bathroom. Well as Jack was gulping down a bottle in my lap in the car, he apparently decided to completely relax, and we know that when babies do that, the poop finally flows! Well he pooped with some extreme power and it blew out up his back. Now, at this point in our journey it was also snowing like crazy. Well I bundled up Jack in some blankets, grabbed the diaper bag and headed into the rest area thinking for sure this nice rest area would have a lovely little changing table. Needless to say it did not, but it did have a very inviting cement bench which I covered with blankets and made into my makeshift changing table. So there we were in a cold cement bathroom with Jack needing every item of clothing on his body to be changed. People gave me some strange looks as they came in. I talked to Jack saying things like, "What a time for a blow out sweetie!" mostly so people would not wonder why I had my baby naked in a rest room bathroom on a cement bench. Anyway, we did the necessary dirty work (and it definitely was dirty), but I still needed to go to the bathroom. So as awkward as it was, Jack sat on my lap as I went to the bathroom. Finally we were able to get back on the road (only after the man who had been shoveling walks and staring at me in the car, on the walk in, and as I walked out of the bathroom asked if I was "doing alright with that little one." Thanks for your concern! :)

Anyway, the trip to Utah was a lot of fun! We were able to spend time with my sister Holly and meet her big little man Brock down in Utah. She was able to come up from Roswell for a visit, and it was lots of fun to visit and see each other's babies. Brock was born in August and is a big guy like Jack. It was fun to see them together. While home we also got together with the rest of the family at my brother's house. That was lots of fun. All of my nieces and nephews loved Jack. It was pretty funny when we tried to get a picture of the four babies that have all been born within the last year as all are at very different stages.. We ate dinner at the OG and spent New Year's Eve with my mom and dad, Holly and Brock, and my sister Lisa and her husband Bryce. It was a fun trip, and my mom loved having her daughters and babies staying at her house.....at least that is what she said! :) We had a great time though. It was nice to get home again though after all of the traveling.

No comments: